Monday, October 14, 2013

Oaklandish

October already?!  We are creeping closer and closer to the two year old mark, and I am frankly not ready.  Two years old means a lot of things.... no more free plane rides, potty training, big kid bed, more talking, terrible twos (which i think have already begun for us).

Did i mention that Madison is talking?  Not just talking actually, rambling.  I think she gets that from Patrick.... def not me :)   But seriously, she is talking a whole lot for a kid who isn't even two yet.  She can say full sentences.... like put words together on her own.  However, she cannot walk up the stairs, but she can ask me for things and tell me what she did in nursery, etc.  I suppose the downside is she is constantly talking and wanting me to understand what she is saying because if I don't then she will say it until I do. Sounds fun, right?!

As for potty training, we decided to jump in a few weeks ago.  WHAT WERE WE THINKING?!?!?  To call Madison strong-willed is an understatement.... lets just put it that way.  She is 2/3 of the way there... she knows when she has to go and she knows how to hold it, but she doesn't not like the feeling of peeing in the potty.  At this point (beginning of week 4) I feel like we have tried everything.  We started with no rewards (big mistake - at least for her).  She will not at least sit on the potty without screaming because she gets to watch Curious George and she gets chocolate chips.  We are also implementing rewards for staying dry - which doesn't seem to be hard for her.  Friday I started putting diapers on her again because she was holding it for the whole morning until I put a diaper on her at nap time and I was afraid of her getting a UTI.  This isn't really helping though because now she hates going in diapers and being messy.  Ugh, welcome to my life!  What a frustrating and hard few weeks this has been.  Secluded!  At least the diapers allow me the peace of mind when we go out (which we didn't do for the last three weeks).

Did I mention we adopted a 22 year old?  We didn't really adopt her, but she has been living with us and sleeping on the couch for the last 5-6 weeks.  We love her, especially Madison.  Did I mention she has a little dog?  Which truly is Madison's new BFF.  I do not know how we will all handle the change when she moves out on Wednesday.  Maddie is seriously going to miss the extra attention and playmate(s).  The poor dog might not miss Maddie as much.  I mean sure she will miss the extra treats and being chased around and hit and yelled at, right?  Prob not!  I bet she sleeps for a week to recover.

In other news, we love Oakland.  Mostly the food, but the culture is wonderful.  People are so real and surprisingly friendly.  But the food.... I cannot express how yummy it is... it is just so good.  I think in our (almost) 5 years of marriage we have never eaten out as much as we have in the last 4 months.  There are just too many tempting restaurants around us.  According to the Rockridge newspaper, "Oakland neighborhoods like Rockridge, Temescal Triangle and Uptown, have become ground zero for some of the hottest and hippest restaurants in California. " JUST SAYIN;!!!!

Things are going really well for us here.  We having joined a parish and a small group within that parish.  I am co-leading the moms bible study. And as a whole we are getting connected and making friends.

Have I mentioned that Patrick really likes his new job?!  Last week they closed early and took the company to see a movie.  The best part?!  Spouses got to go and the girl staying with us was available to watch Maddie.  Can you say DATE NIGHT?!!!  Even better, free date night.  Well mostly free... we got drinks and appetizers after, but I got the afternoon off to go to a movie with my hubby and didn't even have to put Maddie to bed.  Thank you new company!

We have our family costume idea.  So, get excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment